Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday Fun...(With my "Fairy Garden")...

Well, my little angel is still "on hold", but I have been truly playing this evening...(this is exactly what the six-year-old-me would have done...if I had had the means!)...

♥ ♥ ♥
I've started my little "fairy garden" in one of the kettles (I have two) that have been in my family for generations...(originally used for...soap-making? Rendering lard?...I don't really know, except they are OLD...patched with pieces of metal (how frugal folks were...had to be...) the bottoms have rusted out, but they are still fine (even better) for planters, which is what my Mom had been using them for all of my life ~ and now I have them.

Photobucket

Here's one of the kettles filled with potting soil; I've positioned a gourd in the spot that I am going to have a little "house" made from the gourd. (Note the iced Earl Grey...a requirement) ~ :^)

Photobucket

Here are all my little plants I've been collecting for the past couple of weeks...I've been looking for herbs with especially tiny leaves (I've found a couple of different varieties of thyme "Silver Queen" and "Pinky") ~ I'm using regular rosemary and lavender for the backdrop (I will have to keep the growth in check) ~ and as "landscaping", I've found Blue Star Creeper (Laurentia); a really interesting little perennial called "Black Brass Buttons" (Leptinella "Platt's Black") which looks like tiny fern fronds; and Calibrachoa (Kal-i-brake-i-a), which looks like tiny little petunias...I just love it! (I had some last year, so I know they are hardy!)  I always have to go back and look for the name, though...I seem to have a mental block  remembering it!)...:^)

 
Photobucket


 Here is the "Pinky" thyme...


Photobucket


Calibrachoa ~ dime-sized "petunias"!


Photobucket


Leptinella...


Photobucket

The planted "Fairy Garden"!...Now I have to remove the gourd so I can work on turning it into a little house... The plants are actually way too close together if this was going to be a permanent herb garden, but in this case, I just wanted a really interesting little scene that will last for just this season...depending on how much each has grown, I will divide and transplant the perennials to my main herb garden in the fall...then maybe I can use them again to "play" next Spring!

Hopefully by the time I finish the "house", the plants will have settled in.

Stay tuned!


Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

♥ ♥ ♥

Anne

32 comments:

  1. How cute is that! I love fairy gardens. And the little plants you found are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne,
    I love your adorable header...another fine capture of your beautiful kitty! Oh, how I wish I could put my flowers out to get established..Tonight it's been snowing (again!) and so they are sleeping under a grow light in the garage.
    Your posies look like they are getting some special TLC!
    Blessings, my new friend!
    Carolynn >^^<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne: I love the fairy garden. I have been collecting fairy fixins for the past two years. I have little wire garden bench, an arch and a little wheelbarrow to plant in, but I just haven't gotten the plants to put in. Now I have an idea as to what I need. I'll keep you posted..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. ;)- love a tiny fairy world, and your picks for plantings are wonderful. Love the tiny petunias. Had some of those a few years ago, and I must find them again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anne, Your post reminds me of Making Easter gardens, which I loved to do as a child and so did my children. There's something wonderful about allowing yourself to really play isn't there? You are so right to do so. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring is a lovely time to start playing with ones plants. We have put a few pots and planters out but now it has turned so cold again! Anyway I am here at your blog thanks to you becoming the latest follower of my photography blog, it is appreciated thankyou. I will follow back and add you to my round the world blog roll on News From Italy to enable me to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fairy garden...adorable and whimsical. My daughter and her friend used to build fairy houses along a little brook for hours. We also love an English movie called "A Fairy Tale". It's about a little girl who believes she sees fairies and actually photographs them. Good luck with your gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how sweet is that! I can't wait to see photos of the garden when it is full grown. I'm sure it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fairy gardens! Our nursery has tiny little chairs and benches to add to your garden. I think the fairies will LOVE the good smells in your little grove!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so wonderful !!! I love the kettle. Great to have that still in the family.
    I have an empty kettle like container, which I emptied this weekend. Maybe this would be great for a gnome or fairy garden too ????
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish someone would give me something like this to put plants in! We just bought a beautiful roseamary plant and now it has beautfiul lavender flowers on it. How do you use rosemary leaves? I have never had one before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have thought of making a little world with plants and things~you've inspired me to actually do it. Do the kitties go out? It would be very cute to see a picture of them surveying your little fairyland.
    ~Debra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found your blog! Love it! I am your newest follower.

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  14. How enchanting! A "fairy garden!" It can't get any better than that.:) We have several herbs that are doing very nicely this season.

    Yes, it is the green-framed header that Little Munchkin noticed.:) She DOES love cats, but Big Munchkin and Machoman are allergic.:( So, interaction with our 20-year old "garage cat" is limited.

    That iced Earl Grey sounds SO refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty, Anne. I love your little garden --- and the Earl Grey tea made it a perfect experience! Enjoy a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's going to be adorable! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the gourd. That iced tea was the first thing I noticed, I wondered what it was doing there, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is WAY too cute! And the pot is perfect!!!
    I am anxious to see what the house looks like.....and the fairies that come to nest.
    This is so inspiring that I may try it once we get the fence finished....the deer would have a field day with a tiny garden!
    Have a great weekend and I look forward to the progress. Lovely photos, too!
    Hugs
    Jan (snow expected here in CO tonight)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I love this, Anne! Do you travel to do other people's gardens? =0)
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    xo
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  19. How charming.
    I've seen little fairy gardens, but never really gave them any thougt...until now.
    You made a darling fairy garden.
    It is an inspiration to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anne you have inspired me - I have some gourds left from a past season and of all things an old rusty wheelbarrow - now I know why one should never throw things away! Thanks for bringing me inspiration and cheer. Love "Pixie"

    ReplyDelete
  21. real fairy garden! I love plants! you a nice week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. How pretty! Any fairy would be proud to call this home.
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your fairy garden. It is just beautiful~ I have promised the grandgirls that we will do fairy gardens this summer...and make a fairy house to encourage them to come outside.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never heard of a fairy garden before and I love your choice of plants that I think are perfect for fairy gardening!!!

    I hope you're having an enjoyable weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I first saw these about a year ago and was fascinated by them! Yours looks like it's off to a great start -- love those tiny plants!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have an old kettle, too! Its planted with miniature evergreen trees and shrubs now, but I'm thinking they may have to move soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love your thoughts and comments, and I read each and every one! Sometimes life gets in the way, though, and it takes me a while to respond...Thank you for understanding! ♥...Time is precious, and the time you have taken here is truly appreciated!