Saturday, September 8, 2012

Stormy Weather...(But Hopefully a Pretty, Paint-y Weekend...!)

 
"Stormy Weather....."
 
Can't you just hear it in your head?
 
I love that song....even though it was *before* my time....
I used to play it on the piano...
 
Photobucket
~
We have had our share in the last couple of late afternoons/nights...
"Pop-Up" storms, the weather-man calls them...
~
"Too little, too late", I call them...but I shouldn't complain...
~
Last night, I went out to pick okra, and the sky was getting really dark and strange-looking back in the north...
I called Jonathan to come look at it with me...
The clouds were moving fast...
(Enough to engage a teenager for more than a few minutes...pretty impressive...)
~
He got his phone and came out to take pictures with me...
~
Photobucket
~
Photobucket
~
Photobucket
~
The wind was blowing really hard...in the past, I probably would have run for cover, but, since there was no obvious imminent danger, (and Jonathan was thinking it was pretty cool...though he was saying, "Auntie Em, Auntie Em!!")...I thought, "What the heck"....it was blowing so hard, though, that Jonathan had to brace my arm so I could continue to snap pictures...
~
(I now understand those straight-line winds that they show during hurricanes just a little better, and I realize that this was really nothing, in comparison...) ~
 
Then the rains began...
"Where have you been, Rain??...Don't you realize you have waited too long?"
~
Well.
You take what you get, I guess.
 
Then, after the rain...
~
Photobucket
~
Photobucket
~
The most amazing rainbow....(double, at the ends) that I have ever seen...
 
Probably because the sky was still so dark in the background,
but this rainbow was the most intensely colored one that I have ever seen, I believe...
~
The pictures don't do it justice at all...
 
It was amazing...
 
So much so, that I, having seen that the sun had come out and had gone out in search of a rainbow,
came back in the front door to tell Jonathan to come look...
Just as he was coming back in the back door to tell me to come look...
Pretty awesome!!
 
Photobucket
~
Photobucket
~
Photobucket
~
Photobucket
 ~
 If the rain stops (and it is supposed to, with a little cooler weather coming in), I will be painting faces in Kennett, Missouri, Saturday and Sunday...
 
...at Kennett "Fall Into Arts"
 
Here are a few faces from past events...Grandson Nick (ever tolerant, he won't tell me he'd rather not be a model...:) ~ a Steampunk Airship Pilot...
 
I always get my share of pretty little girls who like being cats...
 
And thank you to Lindsey, (the flower girl), always such a great model!
 
Lastly, this is what you do when it's too hot for anyone to want their face painted...;^)
 
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Photobucket
~

31 comments:

  1. That rainbow is so pretty...and seems like it is extra large--seems you must have been in the perfect spot to see the whole thing.

    The face painting looks great--especially like the kitties--great colors. When my kids were younger they loved getting their faces painted. No surprise you are very good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic pictures, very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an eerie dark sky! It's very dark here this morning, I think we're in for some stormy weather too.

    I hope you do well at the fair. Your face paintings are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good storm, as long as it is not destructive. Your skies were wonderful and that rainbow was amazing. I love it when you can see both ends of the rainbow..and a double rainbow is a special treat.

    Have fun face painting. I used to do that for childrens' theater. It was so much fun. We did Artfest and downtown days, too. It was a lot of fun- xo Diana ps...you are much better than I was!;>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Anne!
    What an amazing double rainbow!!!
    Isn't it something, that when there is a double rainbow, the colors on the second rainbow are reversed??!!

    Hope that you are able to do face painting this weekend. I should imagine you will have some pretty happy customers!!

    Stay safe, and enjoy this weekend.

    *smile
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was some wild weather! Love the double rainbow....beautiful photo.
    I am very impressed with the face painting! Hope the weather is good for you to go and do this, they would really miss your talent.
    Mizzou home game today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful double rainbow! I hope the weather cooperates so you can do the face painting today and tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful pictures..Nature is a wealth of topics..And a double rainbow too..Love the face paint..great job..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures and fabulous rainbow. I always like that funny lighting that you get when heavy clouds come in like that and the sun is still shining...a kind of glowy green cast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your face painting, Anne. It is fabulous! Awesome photos, too. We have been having those pop up storms too and we are supposed to have a helluva of a storm tonight. (BTW, I may have mentioned the only okra I liked was your Santa head ones. Well, I tasted it in Cracker Barrel restaurant, deep fried, not slimy at all! Loved it!!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm totally impressed with your rainbow! What lucky kids to have someone so talented paint their faces! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anne,
    Nature makes really dramatic sceneries. I love to see such clouds and blizzards (if there is not danger!). The rainbow is so pretty. And I love to see your face paintings. Just beautiful made.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great storm photographs, the sky looks so dramatic, you captured it well. Love that double rainbow shot!

    Those face paintings made me smile, I remember how much my kids loved having their faces painted when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what fabulous photos!
    OMG those cloud photos DID look like "The Wizard Of Oz!"

    You do know that ANY rainbow is good luck right? Seeing a DOUBLE rainbow is EXTRA good luck!

    Loved the face painting photos...just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What FABULOUS photos - I love the body painting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice photos ! I liked so much the photos with the rainbows !Lovely
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos, and now you know what summer looks like almost every afternoon in Florida.
    I've taken a few pictures myself .
    Gorgeous rainbow, the double means good luck (extra good luck ) LOL! BJ

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos! We have those storms almost every evening in the South.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent pictures! I love them all! Especially the rainbows! I love storms ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, those are some scary looking clouds! The rainbow is beautiful! Great photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your photos are amazing and love, love love your face painting skills.

    Grand Rapids, Michigan....rain! we need it badly...Storms are fun to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are some clouds! We could sure use the rain down here (Central Texas). The cracks in the back yard are getting huge - they're snaking up to the house through what grass we have. We're hoping and praying and waiting for rain. But until then, glad you got some rain and how 'bout those rainbows!

    That is some face painting (and hand/arm painting).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome storm cloud pictures and that rain bow ...well it is probably the prettiest one I have seen.♥ You do wonderful face painting. I am sure you have a log line up waiting to be transformed. What fun it must be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous post! And I love your comment about the clouds being fascinating enough to capture a teenager's interest. I remember those days with my own daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those storm photos were amazing! And the rainbow ones... I had something similar a couple of years ago... you're right, cameras just can't do them justice. But I think you did a great job in capturing it in spite of their limitations!

    Marvelous glimpses of heaven's beauty....

    ReplyDelete
  26. HI!!!
    We are having late storms t...rain twice in one week....and lots of it...with thunder and lightning!!
    We need it too!!
    Your pics are amazing.....most of our storms are at night.....or to much rain to get a rain pic!!!
    I love your face painting pics...GREAT JOB!!!!
    Happy fall soon...
    hugs,
    jamie

    ReplyDelete
  27. What amazing face painting! And I love your storm photographs, I have to admit to enjoying extreme weather but then I do live in England and our weather tends not to be very extreme at all! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dearest Anne - just catching up on blogs and certainly enjoyed your pictures. Glad you got rain and wow wow wow the rainbow and double too! Bless Jonathan's heart - I am with him (Auntie Em...lol). Gorgeous face painting - especially the kitty faces. Hope you have a great week. xo xo Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh I love that song I wish I could play piano. They are awesome pics funny how such beauty can turn to such destruction so quickly.
    You are an talented face painter. B

    ReplyDelete

I love your thoughts and comments, and I read each and every one! Sometimes life gets in the way, though, and it takes me a while to respond...Thank you for understanding! ♥...Time is precious, and the time you have taken here is truly appreciated!