Sunday, December 2, 2012

Tallulah's Bow Tutorial...:^)

Hi, Everyone!
 
Here, as promised, is Tallulah's Bow-Making tutorial...
 
I told her that all you crafty ladies probably have had more experience in
 
 bow-making than she has, but she insisted...
 
 And, one of our friends was over the other night and told us she'd
 
had a local florist make her a bow...
 
We could have done that for her, we said!
 
So, here goes...
~
Photobucket
~
Photobucket
~
Photobucket
~
Here are the ribbons we used;  2 1/2" wide wire-edged ribbon. and some narrow 1/8" ribbon
 
for tying it in the middle. You can also use wire, but I ~ I mean Tallulah ~ prefers ribbon.
 
 A twist tie is handy to hold it while you get the ribbon tied, though,
 
especially if you don't have a helper!
 
I got this huge roll of ribbon ~ 50 yards ~ on eBay for 14.99 with free shipping...
 
This was a very good deal since the rolls you get at Walmart or Hobby Lobby
 
are usually 3 to 5 yards.
 
The amount of ribbon it takes for a nice, full bow can vary greatly,
 
 depending on how long ~ and how many ~ loops you choose to make
 
 and how long you make the streamers; I would allow about 5 yards per (large) bow.
~
Photobucket
~
Start by making a loop over your thumb and hold it...
~
Photobucket
~
Then go from side to side, making loops and continuing to hold the middle...
 
I made five loops on each side, about 5 1/2 - 6" long ~ you don't have to be exact;
 
wire-edged ribbon is so forgiving!
 
I have found that a good rule of thumb is to make the length of the loops
 
 approximately twice the width of the ribbon.
 
(This bow is approx. 8-10 " in diameter.)
 
~
Photobucket
~
Here is the top half of the bow, held together by a twist tie, until I can tie it tightly
 
with the narrow ribbon. Be sure and leave tails on the narrow ribbon,
 
 as you will use it to tie the top to the bottom.
~
Photobucket
~
Now for the bottom of the bow...
 
This time, instead of a middle loop, leave a length of ribbon for a streamer before
 
again pinching the middle and looping back and forth;
 
I made five loops on each side, then ended with another long length of ribbon for a streamer.
~
You can make as many loops as you like, but I could only hold five per side!
 
(I did this part for Tallulah, since she doesn't have thumbs...)
~
Photobucket
~
Stack the top of your bow onto the bottom,
 
 tying the two together snugly with the narrow ribbon.
 
If you want more streamers, you can add them at this point.
~
Photobucket
~
Now just fluff, pat and shape your bow...wired ribbon is SO forgiving; if your loops
 
aren't all exactly the same length, just pat them down a little and it will look perfect!
~
Photobucket
~
Have a happy Monday, all!
 
Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Hi Anne,
    thats a pretty bow. Thank you for that tutorial. But Tallulah will have more fun on the stairss, when you leave one end of the ribbon hanging down. Would love to see her playing with the ribbon.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love wired Ribbon. Really do. I've even asked hubby to adjust a lace I want to use on Christmas Tree using the same philosophy.
    And I absolutely love bows... need, in fact, to get a grip and not go overboard... made some - lots - this weekend wraping some gifts.
    Enjoy Yours!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial. I can manage to make bows, but they are not nearly as nice as yours. It's good to have "correct" directions on how to do this! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one beautiful looking bow! Great tutorial, too. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, just confirming it is just how I learned to do it - altho your bow looks majorly better than mine ever did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty-I am going to try this. I'm all thumbs when it comes to bows and wrapping gifts nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful bow! Now, the challenge before me is following instructions!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tallulah puts me to shame...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Anne - I am just getting caught up with your posts - thank you my dear for mentioning me in your last post. How wonderfully sweet you are - so glad you liked it.
    Now for that lovely bow - I have never been able to master it but having your directions right in front of me there is absolutely no excuse or is there? (What about no coordination or thumbs getting in the way) - You are amazing - love your tree and Mr B looks right at home with Leo and Tallulah. Have a wonderful week my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful bow..you're not fooling me..Tallulah didn't do that..

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a keeper, Anne. I pinned it to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...that is beautiful...
    Wonder if my clumsy little hands can pull that off...I may need Tallulah's help! :))
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love your thoughts and comments, and I read each and every one! Sometimes life gets in the way, though, and it takes me a while to respond...Thank you for understanding! ♥...Time is precious, and the time you have taken here is truly appreciated!