Friday, October 10, 2014

Just Bee-cause... ;)

Happy Friday (and weekend) all! 

Can you bee-lieve we're a third of the way through October already?

 My flowers are still going, and I'm still watering... 

 And then this, yesterday...

~
 photo 1_zpsbe8f42b1.jpg
~

 There have been a few bees around the flowers all summer,

 but now there are bees everywhere... 

Everywhere!

Are they gathering nectar for the coming winter...

is that why the sudden frenzy?

I don't know...but it was pretty cool.

I had my phone just inches from them, and they paid me no mind.

 (Their favorites are the Pentas and Marigolds)

~
 photo 12_zps99ac1145.jpg
~
 photo pollen_zpsf0bb926f.jpg
~

Look at the pollen on the bottom one's back!

~
 photo 4_zps405e26dc.jpg
~

The Maître d' was heard to say..."Marigold for two?"

There were so many bees vying for nectar,

 there were two and three to a flower!

~

They are Eastern Carpenter Bees, and besides boring a few holes

in my trellis, they are beneficial...

They are non-aggressive and important pollinators,

according to the USDA Forest Service...

(interesting article here...)

~
 photo 11_zpsc85b49e8.jpg
~
 photo 5_zpsb8db8113.jpg
~

"You lookin' at ME?"

I was fascinated with the eye-pattern on this fellow...

it seemed to be just the way the sunlight hit the eyes, as they aren't all like this...

These photos were all taken with my Samsung Galaxy phone camera.

Can you believe it?

I am amazed, truly!

I rarely get my "good" camera out any more...I actually like these photos better ~

Of course, for every super-sharp insect or flower photo I get,

 I delete about fifty not-so-great ones off my phone, but still...

It's usually right there in my hand...or close.

So many things inspire me to snap away,

when I would probably not bother to go get the big DSLR from the camera bag...

~

 photo 15_zps770e8d8a.jpg
~
 photo 3_zps2935e9a5.jpg
~

Checking out a Cypress Vine flower...

~
 photo 6_zps2b4cdda2.jpg
~
 photo 10_zps1587476f.jpg
~

"Diving in..."

~
 photo 2_zps1abe7141.jpg
~

Check out the ant checking out the bee!

I didn't notice him until I was editing the photos...

~
 photo 13_zps1c0455ca.jpg
~
 photo 8_zps655a0160.jpg
~

A quizzical look!

~
 photo 9_zps33bb4a40.jpg
~

Nom, nom, nom...

~
 photo 7_zps5a3ca6ca.jpg
~
 photo 14_zps3d6c7ea3.jpg
~

Can't top this for sheer tenacity..

Little Vincas that reseeded and are growing between the concrete

and the brick edge on my front porch!

(There was a hanging Vinca right above...)

One more thing...

~
 photo 20141010_102339_zpsaf40efc1.jpg
~
 photo 20141010_102356_zps53f14ad0.jpg
~

Going to Vulture Fest again this year in Makanda, Illinois!

Click here for more about this little community and the festival ~

I've been painting Vulture-Rocks for days...

Rock on!

Have a great weekend!


Love

~
Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. Oh wow, vulture rocks. I'd not heard of Makanda before even though I live in Illinois. I see on the map that it's down by Marion. I pass through Marion on my trips south.

    Amazing photos; I can't believe they are taken with your phone. I have a refurbished iphone which takes terrible pictures, but it was free with a contract renewal so . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bee pictures are stunning. From a camera phone.....who needs a fancy camera.
    Seriously they celebrate the return of these nasty birds. We have over two hundred of the lovely birfds thar roost in our pine trees for about three months. No kidding. They throw up gross stuff all over our house and cars. We are always at the car wash. No one knows how bad it is. We have called O D N R but we can't get rid of them. When you get out of your car you feel like you are in a bad movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what great shots of the bees!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You took some amazing close ups of the bees! WOW! And those are a lot of rocks to paint...rock on! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are amazing! So beautiful... And your flowers are so lovely.. Yes, I see that tiny little ant..
    Love your painted vulture rocks! Boy have you been busy or what...
    Wishing you a relaxing evening Anne
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne what amazing pictures! I haven't seen big bees like that in quite awhile......once in a blue moon i will see a big bumble bee but most area little honey bees......they like my rosemary.....Thank you so much for sharing... I kept hoping for a straight on shot so i could try to draw one but i imagine they won't pose for you..lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow.. you've really captured the bees! I am amazed by their fuzzy little legs, They are almost cute! I would never be able to get shots like that.. I'm too afraid of them!! When bee's are in my garden ~ this girl is no where to be found! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne, your photos are really, really amazing and beautiful! THANKS also for sharing the article on the carpenter bees, we have them here, and I didn't know much about them, other than feeling like they were pretty gentle. And those rocks, who would not want one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Anne,
    How very sweet of you to come for a visit and leave such a kind note.. So happy you enjoyed viewing Cosmo.
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are still blooming and buzzing here too :-). GREAT shots with your phone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh....... Anne there's a lot of "Buzzings" going on your way! TeeHeHee! Enjoy the festivities!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Anne, these photos are bee-udiful!! I'm stunned that you could get such clarity with your phone camera! What an amazing photographer you are! I also love your vulture stones. I find it hard to believe that vultures are real birds - they seem like the sort of creature you'd only find in fairy tales and other fiction. Enjoy the festival!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Anne - what wonderful pictures of these bees. Amazing that you captured them with your phone! We have had a killing frost here although my cosmos and bachelor buttons are still blooming well. As for the bees we have had bunches around the goldenrod. Like you not too many this summer but they certainly have showed up in October. Hope you have lots of fun at your festival. Hugs Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy crow, those are AMAZING photos!!!! Incredible how sharp they are, especially for a phone! Wow...

    And your rocks, they ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  15. outstanding bee photo's and your rock Vultures are very cleaver...each one is painted with quality. I hope they all sell for you :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your thoughts and comments, and I read each and every one! Sometimes life gets in the way, though, and it takes me a while to respond...Thank you for understanding! ♥...Time is precious, and the time you have taken here is truly appreciated!